An ear, nose and throat specialist has specialized in the area of medicine referred to as otolaryngology. In this specialty, a physician receives specific training to diagnose, manage and treat diseases and disorders of the ear, nose, throat and as well as the head and neck. An ENT Specialist also called otolaryngologists represent one of the oldest specialty of physicians.
For one to become an ENT specialist, they are required to complete around 15 years of study and training. This will include four years of undergraduate study, four years of the medical program. At least five years of specialty training in the field and one or two-year residency program. Furthermore, they are required to undergo peer evaluation and assessment and sit for and pass written, oral examinations administered by the board of medical practitioners or otolaryngology in the particular country. The ENT specialists needs to get certification to practices. Moreover, they can continue to train and specialize in a subspecialty area.
Areas of Specialty
The field of otolaryngology is quite wide. Below is a list of common types of disorders that an ENT specialist will treat and specialize on.
• Allergies – Specialise in the treatment of inhalation allergies of the upper side of the respiratory system. By diagnosing the causes and offering treatment. The allergies could be due to various causes like medication or dust, pollen, dust, food, mold and other sensitivities that affect the ear, nose, and throat.
• Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – this specialty involves any surgical treatment either cosmetic or reconstructive to treat structural abnormalities of the face, neck or ears.
• Otology and Neurotology – includes any treatment of disorders related to the ears or nerves pathway which can affect hearing and balance This could be trauma (injury) and infection.
• Rhinology – Speciality is related to disorders of the nose and sinuses.
• Pediatric Otolaryngology – This type of specialized field focuses on children related disorders that affect the ears, nose, throat, head, and neck
• Specializing on the Head and Neck – This will include any tumors cancerous and noncancerous either in the head and neck
• Laryngology – Which is the specialty related to the treatment of disorders of the throat like sore throat, hoarseness, swallowing disorder and may affect the voice and cause swallowing problems.
A well trained ENT specialist has extensive knowledge of all the organs, parts and physical structure related to the head and neck. When one visits an ENT clinic they can be sure they will receive treatment to any conditions and disorders related to these areas.